Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The facts of life

Some things I've discovered recently. I am sharing these things with you. YOU!

  • Tottenham Court Road skyscraping monstrosity Centre Point is built on the site of a gallows
  • The name 'Wendy' was invented by JM Barrie, creator of Peter Pan*
  • Barbara Streisland and Tina Turner are both big 24 fans
  • In Russian if you're extremely drunk, you say "I am meat" ("Я в мясо") - meaning that you have no eyes, no ears and no senses
  • Mark Kermode is a Christian
  • Clare Short's cousin is US-Canadian actor Martin Short**
  • Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" - it was invented by PG Wodehouse in his 1915 novel Psmith, Journalist
  • Naomi Campbell was engaged to U2 bassist Adam Clayton in the 80s
  • There have only been 20 episodes of The Vicar of Dibley

* Wikipedia slightly disputes this, but I think it still kind of counts.

** I actually had this factoid confirmed in an email from Short herself, which was exciting. I emailed back with the line "Great, thanks Clare. I loved him in Three Amigos." She didn't reply.

3 comments:

Red said...

I loved Martin Short in Father of the Bride (one of my guilty pleasures). His lines from that film are regularly quoted Chez Red...

* (asterisk) said...

Of course, factoid, then, is the wrong word, since it means "a piece of unreliable information believed to be true because of the way it is presented or repeated in print", according to Collins.

Strange that factoid being used to mean small fact is something of a factoid in its own right.

In other news, I'd heard about the Wendy thing but will now head over to Wikipedia to see what it says there.

Will said...

Red - I had no idea the Shortmeister was in FOTB. But I suppose I was only 10 when I last saw it.

* - But also carries the meaning "an insignificant or trivial fact", no?