Monday, October 02, 2006

Top of the corpse

Today it was revealed that James Blunt's Goodbye My Lover is, according to the Bereavement Register, the most requested song for funerals. How depressing.

For some reason, I've always had quite a firm idea of the tunes I'd like played at my funeral; I even created a playlist called "Will's funeral" on my housemate's computer featuring the songs I want. Just in case something happened to me and some cack-handed acquaintance ended up choosing their own music. There's not much reasoning behind these (no resonant lyrics, a la Candle in the Wind), they're just songs I couldn't do without. They are:

1. Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan
2. Typical Girls - The Slits
3. Duchess - Scott Walker

Come on then, what are yours?

11 comments:

jpt said...

Ideally, as many as possible, but they would definitely need to include:

Rocks - Primal Scream
Transfatty Acid - Lamb (but only the K&D Session remix)

the monobrow said...

funny i was thinking about this recently too. i think these two would be funny (if a little obvious because they contain the word dead):

tom waits - dead and lovely
my robot friend - dead

Darren said...

I Can't Imagine the World Without Me - Echobelly

Revolution 9 - The Beatles (not because it's particularly relevant, just cos it's long, portentious and likely to make people think slightly less of me, thus help them to get over my passing)

Tim said...

This is pretty difficult, but I'm currently thinking:

Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones (the version off the 'Stripped' album)
'Life on Mars' - David Bowie
'The Hokey-cokey' - because there's nothing like throwing everyone a curve ball right at the end.

Kusems said...

I'm boring, so I'd go with one that's actually about death: MLK by U2. It's so haunting.

* (asterisk) said...

I've always fancied "Whip in My Valise" by Adam and the Ants for my funeral. It'd be funny.

And maybe "I Ain't Mad At Cha" by 2Pac.

I dunno what else.

Curly said...

I'd just go for the comedy options I expect. Something along the lines of:-

Rocket from the Crypt - Burnt Alive
Procol Harem - Whiter shade of Pale
Gina G - Ooh Ah, just a little bit

or

ueen's 'Another One Bites the Dust'

Eleanor said...

It's got to be I've had the time of my life and then Disco Inferno as they lower my coffin into the ovens.
No word of a lie.

Red said...

La Mer by Charles Trenet (the original, not that shitty Robbie Williams version of Beyond the Sea).

Will said...

This is a really useful document; if any of us ten snuff it, the next of kin can refer back to it for instant funeral tuneage satisfaction. Woo hah.

Edmund said...

i would like "Where the bee sucks there lurk I" from The Tempest, as sung by Alfred Deller.

Also, Jim Callaghan singing "I'm the man, the very fat man who waters the workers' beer" live from the Durham Gala dinner 1978. (Tony Benn had his tape recorder on the table.)