Monday, October 30, 2006

The whole tooth

This weekend, I went back to Wimborne, my home town, and spent £161 at the dentist. I feel like Martin Amis. But without the literary talent, misguided penchant for 9/11 reimaginings, or letter from Julian Barnes telling me to fuck off. Anyway, my teef have now been scaled to the max, and my first-ever filling hangs snugly in the top-back-right corner of my mouth, like a stumpy stalagtite in a dripping and echoey cave.

The rest of my weekend was sandwiched between the two dentist appointments like a ketchup-splattered slice of smoked enamel. On Saturday, I went to look round stately home Kingston Lacy, which was the family seat of the Bankes family from the 17th century. It's got quite a history - Pitt the Younger and the Duke of Wellington both stayed there at some point - and it was pimped by Sir Charles Barry, who also 'did' the Houses of Parliament. The house is filled with cool bric-a-brac, including the keys to Corfe Castle, and rather unexpectedly, paintings by Van Dyck, (Jan) Brueghel the Younger, and a nice pair of Titians (okay, I'm lying, there was only one, but they should buy in another just so people can use the 'nice Titians' gag with impunity).

Kingston Lacy, obviously
After that, popped over to Badbury Rings, our local iron age hill fort. Communed with the spirits of the past, took a photo of a sheep. That place rocks.

In case you're worried all this history talk is signalling that the Electric Goose is getting high-brow and worthy, here's Kate Winslet in yesterday's Sunday Times:

"With All the King's Men, in which there was a little bit of nudity, I thought, 'Well, that's it; my nudity days are over... Then I read the script of Little Children and thought, 'This is really good, but there's lots of nudity in it.' I knew the film wouldn't work if those scenes weren't there though.'"

Now answer me this: are there any films in which La Winslet doesn't get naked?

Ms Winslet, clothed

9 comments:

James K said...

No. There are no films where she doesn't get her baps out.

She should just become a page 3 girl in the Sun and be done with it.

Darren said...

I don't recall any nudity in Heavenly Creatures. Though she was about 11 in that, so probably didn't have any baps to get out...

Anonymous said...

I doubt she gets her boobies out in Flushed Away, unless they're computer-generated rat-boobies.

Hmmm...

Huw said...

Jude just wouldn't have worked without the graphic child birthing fanny shot. It was essential.

Curly said...

I've been to Wimborne a number of times, but I can't for the life of me remember what we do when we get there. Probably have a hearty meal in a pub. I've not been for a few years...

Kingston Lacy is grand, isn't it? I have a parent employed by the Trust which meant that we were dragged around most of the properties in Southern England and Wales as kids - completely despising the places unless there were trees on the ground which we could climb in.

Will said...

Curly: that's weird - a lot of people I bump into seem to have some kind of Wimborne connection. The chances are, you will have visited a pub. Wikipedia says the town "has one of the largest pubs to residents ratios in Dorset".

Everyone else: a quick estimate, using IMDB and my brain. Of the (roughly) 20 proper films Winslet has done, I can verify that at least 10 of them feature her sans chemise. Just to set the record straight.

Tired Dad said...

Erm. Re: the title. Do you know Mr.Biffo?

Kusems said...

Holy cow, that photo is scandalous. Why bother with the shirt at all?

Will said...

No I don't. But I just Googled him and see we have some kind of mysterious punning affinity. Legend.