Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hot potato

Reading Jorge Luis Borge's Labyrinths yesterday, I was particularly struck by one passage, in his short story The Immortal:

To be immortal is commonplace; except for man, all creatures are immortal, for they are ignorant of death; what is divine, terrible, incomprehensible, is to know that one is immortal. I have noted that, in spite of religions, this conviction is very rare. Israelites, Christians and Moslems profess immortality, but the veneration they render this world proves they believe only in it, since they destine all other worlds, in infinite number, to be its reward or punishment.


It was with these words in mind that I wrote this brave, brave piece of journalism.


UPDATE: just came across a group of my colleagues huddled in an obscure corner of the office. They were whispering and went suddenly quiet when they saw me approaching, so all I could make out were the mumbled words "guaranteed Pulitzer". But when they looked at me, I could see the silent awe shimmering in their eyes.

1 comment:

Gorilla Bananas said...

We gorillas know we are mortal. We also believe in reincarnation. The bad gorilla comes back as a baboon, the funny gorilla comes back as an orang-utan, and the gorilla who thinks he's funny comes back as Bruce Forsyth.