Friday, March 10, 2006

Great house party moments #24

It's summer 2005, I'm sober and at Chris's house party. The theme is M, meaning you have to dress as something beginning with the letter "m". In attendance are a monk, a Maverick (from Top Gun), a pair of Minnie Mouses, a Buddhist monk, the obligatory Mafioso and so on. Chris has dressed up as a Marxist: he's dyed his hair black, donned sandals and glued bits of wig hair to his face.

A few hours in, I start talking to a drunken guy who has a large toy monkey tied round his head.

"So what do you do?" I say.
"I work for the foreign office," he replies. My eyes wander up towards the monkey strapped to his head, a creeping alarm beginning to register.
"Which department?" I ask.
"Counter proliferation of nuclear weapons," he slurs.

2 comments:

Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I see that you wrote a review on Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. I love that album. I don't remember how I heard about it (National Public Radio maybe?), but I got it and I love it. Such a unique sound. They played in Chicago recently (where I live) and it sold out before I found out about it.

Boo Radleys are good too- I saw them on your profile. Arcade Fire, too. Are you familiar with Built to Spill? Based on some of your choices, I think you'd like it. I recently discovered Neutral Milk Hotel. If you don't have it, you should check it out.

Great blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello

I really enjoyed reading your blog. If I were you I would go to http://www.autosurfmonster.com and submit this blog and let thousands of viewers visit your blog for FREE. Well, i look forward to updates. thanks again.

Jessica