Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Lessons learned: always see the support band

Woe, woe and thrice, woe!
Wow, it's 2006 and we're fast approaching the five-year anniversary of the time I didn't see the second biggest band in the world. But I didn't care, because the only band on the bill that I really wanted to see was the mighty Campag Velocet.

Fortunately I ended up seeing Coldplay a few weeks later in Bristol's Fleece and Firkin, a pub which holds about 200. The band kept having to stop playing as the soundsystem kept breaking; a curly-haired Chris Martin maintained a steady stream of "is it working yet?" type banter with the soundman Dave. It's five years later and Coldplay's third album X&Y has been number one in 28 countries. Funny how things turn out.

2 comments:

Darren said...

I missed Coldplay on that tour too, not that it prevented me from ripping into them mercilessly in my live review. I think I made some facetious comment about how Chris Martin could 'not expect to lose his virginity anytime soon peddling such tepid complaint rock'. Shows how little I know!

Anonymous said...

haha. i turned down the chance to interview coldplay when i was at uni.

some student union try hard was in the newspaper office and was going on about his friend from home's new band coldplay, who had a fierce panda release and were really 'hot', so i as music editor really ought to interview them. and i was like, why would anyone care?