Monday, January 16, 2006

Official visit

So, on Friday, I "met" Sir Bob Geldof. The great man was paying a visit to our office, probably because he’d heard about some of the sterling work that I do. Annoyingly I didn’t get an official introduction, which I’m sure Sir Bob was extremely narked about – he certainly looked pretty grumpy. Just as he was leaving following his tour, he turned around and said to the ten of us sitting at our desks: "Well, nice to meet you all." And added, "I guess I'll see you in about ten years." Our laughter was disproportionately loud.

At that moment, he made direct eye contact with me, and something deeper than words passed between us: I could tell he was thinking something along the lines of "Parkhouse, I want you to know that Live 8, Band Aid and the work of the Boomtown Rats couldn’t have happened without your glorious input." And he could tell I was thinking something along the lines of, "Yes Bob, I know."

No comments: