Sunday, November 11, 2007

Bail out

Sad news: the family dog has died. Bailey, aged 10ish, was put down on Friday morning after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My parents are very upset – he'd been with them for seven years.

When Bailey arrived from the sanctuary (he was a rescue dog), there was heated discussion about what he should be called. His given name was Beethoven, which all agreed was a bit naff. However, as it was the name he answered to, it was decided that a name approximating Beethoven should be found.

My Dad was all for "Beattie" after the then Southampton striker, James Beattie. But the women of the house were having none of it, and Bailey was chosen. I'm not sure there was a particular reason for this, but it was rather appropriate - his hair was a similar colour to the cream-based liqueur. I always liked to think it had something to do with the blond-haired British tennis player Chris Bailey too; I'm not sure why.

Perhaps "Vincent" might have been a better name – like the artist, he came with just the one ear. La tristesse durera toujours.

7 comments:

Jo said...

Ohhh :( Our black lab William died this summer, he was about 8 and everyone at my house, especially my mum who he followed everywhere, was very upset. Luckily we still had Ellie, our golden labrador and we now have a new black lab Charlie. But if Bailey was the only dog then it's going to seem very quiet without him.

* (asterisk) said...

Sorry for your loss, Will. I'd already left home when my family dog died, but it didn't make it any easier. Tough times.

Red said...

It is so very sad to lose a beloved pet. Poor little Bailey...

جبهة التهييس الشعبية said...

free samina malik

http://freesaminamalik.blogspot.com/

http://www.petitiononline.com/poetess/petition.html

Will said...

Okay, I'll free her, just stop spamming me!

Huw said...

How many more family pets must die before Samina walks free?

Smad said...

R.I.P., Bailey. You were loved, and that is what matters. I think adopting a rescue is like falling in love with someone you don't intially think you'll get along with, then you discover all kinds of quirky things that make you mad about them.