Made Sarah a "you're moving to London" CD this week – she's got a flat in Archway and a job in Brixton for September - but when I'd finished compiling it, I realised there were some really anti-London lyrics in there. I hope she doesn't get the wrong message. Here are the tracks, followed by some of the deliciously depressing lyrics.
1. Ldn – Lily Allen
"A fella looking dapper, but he's sitting with a slapper / Then I see it's a pimp and his crack whore"
2. Chelsea Morning – Joni Mitchell
3. Whippin' Piccadilly - Gomez
4. London Calling – The Clash
5. Upon Westminster Bridge – Half Man Half Biscuit
6. Come Back to Camden - Morrissey
"Where taxi drivers never stop talking / Under slate-grey Victorian sky"
7. London Loves – Blur
"London loves / The way people just fall apart / London loves / The way you just don't stand a chance"
8. Mornington Crescent – Belle and Sebastian
9. London Still – The Waifs
"Today I dream of home and not of London any more"
10. Blue Room in Archway – Boo Radleys
11. The Only Living Boy in New Cross – Carter USM
"Hello, good evening, welcome, to nothing much"
12. Mile End - Pulp
"It's a mess alright / yes it's Mile End" (and the entire song)
13. Waterloo Sunset – The Kinks
"People so busy, make me feel dizzy…"
14. Baker Street – Gerry Rafferty
"This city desert makes you feel so cold / It's got so many people, but it's got no soul"
15. London's Burning – The Clash
"London's burning / With boredom now"
16. Chelsea Girls – Nico
P.S. Yes, I know, there are three songs here which aren't actually about London. Boo hoo.