Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's a popularity contest

We had my iPod's 20 most-played songs about three years ago on the Goose, but having just understood the beauty of Spotify-iTunes-Last.fm scrobbling (I've just started Last.fm-ing here) and because I could be on the brink of doing an earth-shattering system-wide play count reset, it's clearly time for another list.

This one's completely different to its 2006 counterpart, since the listening game had to effectively begin afresh with the arrival of my new iPod about a year and four months ago. It's odd the songs you accidentally become obsessed with - rather embarrassingly, I've listened to the one at the top of this list 30 times.

1. You Let Your Heart Go Too Fast - Spin Doctors
2. Troublemaker - Weezer
3. Represent - Nas
4. Me in Honey - R.E.M.
5. Leave the Scene Behind - The Wave Pictures
6. Innocent When You Dream (Barroom) - Tom Waits
7. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa - Vampire Weekend
8. Mutha'uckas - Flight Of The Conchords
9. Yesterdays - Guns N' Roses
10. Takeover - Jay-Z
11. Way Down in the Hole - The Blind Boys Of Alabama
12. Devil Tricks For A Bitch - Lightspeed Champion
13. Timothy - Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer
14. Needle In A Haystack - The Velvelettes
15. Let Me Take You There - Betty Boo
16. I Wish That I Could See You Soon - Herman Düne
17. California Girls - The Magnetic Fields
18. 52 Girls - The B-52's
19. MJ - Mystery Jets
20. Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend

And, of course, here's that list Spotified for your listening pleasure (minus the Wave Pictures, Mr B. The Gentleman Rhymer and Tom Waits tracks, which you'll find at the other end of the links featured earlier in this sentence).

4 comments:

Nicole said...

This is brilliant! Do more spotify lists, please!

Huw said...

Betty Boo breaks into the top 20 ftw!

Will said...

Man, I could listen to that song forever. Misheard lyric alert in the second line: "don't tell me off for lazing" / "don't tell me I'm fellating".

Will said...

From the Popbitch mailout this week: "Betty Boo's grandmother used to have her milk delivered by Sean Connery."