Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Electric Goose's new baby sister

This is probably going to make me sound a bit like a list-making OCD wrist-wringer, but for the past 11 and a half years, I have been writing down the name of every book I've read. It's simple, really: when I finish a book, I add it to the list.

I started doing this back at school in 1997, after a teacher, Mr Macfarlane, told our history class that the 19th century British Prime Minister William Gladstone used to read around 60 books a year - during his premiership. The man was devouring books like they were cheese and chive flavoured Pringles, in between running the country, bickering with Disraeli and inviting prostitutes back to his house for tea and biscuits. And I began to wonder if I got through that many (books, not whores, or biscuits), as someone who didn't have to rule the UK as well. So I started making a record.

Then, a few years ago, I discovered that Art Garfunkel has been doing the same thing since 1968 and I realised that untamed haircuts aren't the only thing we have in common.

Anyway, the reason for this confession is because I recently digitised my list, in case of fire (oh, all right, because I was bored), which means The Electric Goose now has a sister blog, called Blog After Reading. She wears glasses, is slightly pretentious and lives here.

9 comments:

Curly said...

It'd probably take me a month to read through a list of books you've finished.

Huw said...

You do pretty well. The Electric Bookworm.

jamie credland said...

By my count that's 70 books in 2008... good going. And explains what you were doing with the time you saved by not running the country.

Will said...

Yeah, take that, Gladstone!

Michael Gray said...

But... any top 10? Any listophile loves a top 10, surely...

Will said...

What, top 10 ever?

Michael said...

Yes!

Will said...

I'll have a think, but it'll have to be a "favourites" list rather than "best" - it looks weird when you rank, say, Watchmen above Bleak House.

fwengebola said...

Jesus Christ. I'm incapable of reading one chunk of yours in a one year period. I should probably read more, seeing as i'm pretending to write one.

Impressed with Gladstone, but then he didn't have TV, or t'internet.