Sunday, July 08, 2007

Rhet off the bat

With yesterday's Live Earth concert going on yesterday, Lauren Laverne and Zane Lowe were on the graveyard shift, presenting Auntie's T in the Park coverage on BBC4.

This in no way quashed Laverne's zeal; you do really get a different class of presenting when she's in town. I'm thinking of this bit of seemingly spontaneous dialogue, in particular:

Laverne: It's been a fantastic day for rock, and indeed, roll, here at Tea in the Park.
Lowe: So we've established that it's two things or one thing? I'm confused still.
Laverne: It's a hendiadys, technically.
Lowe: It's a what?!
Laverne: A hendiadys - two disparate concepts expressed in one unified idea. So Calvin Harris was amazing, Klaxons were brilliant, CSS were fantastic...

[she continues as Lowe mutters to himself, looking a bit ashamed]

6 comments:

Edmund Hardy said...

for a while, i couldn't decide if she or Amstell was more beautiful, but this understanding of rhetorical forms tips the balance her way - to speak hendiatically, she has "Youth and flower", condition and estate of wit and acuity.

Will said...

Vim and vigour, too.

Curly said...

Lauren has long been a favourite of mine.

I don't quite get this rule, but she has nice and of course, hair. ;)

(I hate using smileys)

* (asterisk) said...

I like her. But I'm not completely convinced by her definition of hendiadys, which admittedly is a new term to me.

Moo said...

Personally, Laverne gets on my nerves...she thinks she's funny and quite frankly, she isnt......

.....rant over!!

Monica said...

Oh I am so stealing this word.