Sunday, February 03, 2008

Old Kent goad

Ah, the arrogance and brilliance of Nick Kent!

That's when I worked with the Sex Pistols, by the way. Maybe you'll wonder why I've kept from documenting my own experiences with the band in a special chapter. The answer is a simple one: they were all ungrateful, back-stabbing bastards. At first they'd been been known as the Swankers and had played old Small Faces songs alongside such unpunk and insipid old sixties pop numbers as 'Build Me Up Buttercup' and 'Everlasting Love'. I changed all that and got them into the Stooges and Modern Lovers.
Nick Kent, The Dark Stuff (Faber: London, 2007)

2 comments:

cogidubnus said...

Pretentious bullshit...with hindsight were the pistols really that influential? Nope...

Were they that original? A mixture of drink and rugs (sic) quoth the Mirror... Mope...

They certainly didn't combine any form of lyrical ingenuity with musical ability...just sat there and swore...(I seem to recall the Stones/Small Faces/many others doing that with far more daring many years earlier...

Malcolm who?

Will said...

No: Kent is great, not pretentious at all. I'm not sure his stance on how influential they were etc, but judging by his Sid and Nancy piece (final line: "Let them rot."), I imagine he's not very sympathetic.

Personally, I think Never Mind the Bollocks is cracking.