Friday, September 28, 2007

Mark my words

I think I mentioned how much I enjoyed Siri Hustvedt's tale of love, loss, art and murder What I Loved, although ironically I didn't explain "what I loved" about it.

Now is not the time to elaborate, though. What I wanted to mention were the marks made by the previous owner in my (second-hand) copy. The book was only slightly marred, because the marks in question - a series of green highlightings - were infrequent; so infrequent, in fact, that I'm able to list the selected phrases in their entirety here. Hustvedt's novel, by the way, is 367 pages long.

p21. "Mommsenstrasse 11"
p.366 "rooms of an apartment in Berlin – Mommsensetrasse 11"
p.366 "was all Berlin and flight and Hampstead and German and confusion by"
p.366 "father. Mutti in the dark."

Perhaps the confused rogue mistook the book for a German property guide.

2 comments:

Afe said...

Did you consider Deutschmarks as a punny post title?

The good news is, you can track down the mark author if you search for Mommsenstrasse 11 Berlin in Google Maps. Then you can find out why they are all confused about their mother and father in the dark.

Will said...

I did not, but that's way better. Interestingly, one of the key characters in the novel is called Mark. Coincidence? I think not.