Friday, April 06, 2007

Lights and darkness

As I'd predicted, the Stockwell traffic lights have been 'fixed'. Fixed so they no longer provide pedestrians with a guaranteed instant crossing. Fixed so drivers no longer have to bow to the superior whims of those on foot. Fixed so they are no longer the unique beacons of efficient beauty they once were.

This abhorrent neutering struck me with full force yesterday morning as I stood, waiting with the other poor stranded commuters, for the lights to change. For a moment, I contemplated throwing myself in front of the oblivious cars going by and shouting to the others, "Now walk, you poor stationary fools!" as my body was mashed by the churning wheels of the speed-greedy beasts of metal.

But then the lights changed, and I crossed.

4 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I've heard that mooning at passing drivers is an effective form of protest. I've never tried it because my arse is too hairy.

rashbre said...

I always press those butons several times. I don't know if it makes any difference, but it makes me feel better.

Huw said...

Will, if you continue to cause a scene about this, they'll come for you. This goes right to the top.

Will said...

Okay, I'll stop. A BIT LIKE THE CARS USED TO WHEN I WANTED TO CROSS THE ROAD.