Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Goodbye Stockwell Flats

Oh, Beckett House. I have to say goodbye to you. I'm moving to Kennington, and you're not coming with me. This may be the last photo I ever take of you, and the last time I ever stumble across a strangely fitting Beckett quote with which to caption you.


"Finished, it's finished, nearly finished,
it must be nearly finished."



"Grain upon grain, one by one, and one day, suddenly,
there's a
heap, a little heap, the impossible heap.
I can't be punished any more."


"I'll go now to my kitchen, ten feet by ten feet by ten feet,
and wait for him to whistle me. [Pause]
Nice dimensions, nice proportions..."

4 comments:

Huw said...

I feel hollow.

Will said...

Me too Huw. Me. Too.

The quote is all one thing by the way; the first line of Endgame. I (used to) take the pictures from the kitchen's terrace door. Hence additional resonance.

* (asterisk) said...

It's really [sniff] quite emotional. One of the first things I saw at your blog were pix such as this. The end of an era.

rashbre said...

As the great man said - "I can't go on. I'll go on".

rashbre