Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Google nemesis, or The Two Blakes

Funny article in the Grauniad today by Blake Morrison about his namesake, another writer who's also called Blake Morrison. "Bad luck on my parents, who thought they'd called me something inimitable," he muses, realising his uniqueness has been shattered. I find doppelgangers, name-sharers and lookalikes pretty interesting, especially as my every waking second is haunted by people saying, "You look like Bob Dylan Gene Wilder Edward Norton."

When you type my name into Google, as well as the crap I've written, you get some articles about the other Will Parkhouse, an American football player from Bristol. He worries me, particularly as he's jumping up the Google list pretty fast. He does seem to be quite good at the sport too ("he seems to have a big game every week," gushes one report). Pretty alarming, as the more plaudits he gets, the more I'm likely to become "the other Will Parkhouse". He must be stopped.

I should be thankful though. My friend Darren Lee is topped in the Google rankings by The World's Number One Elvis impersonator, Darren Lee. Take a look at Darren the non-Elvis impersonator's new blog, if only to help him in his quest to destroy his lip-curling hip-swivelling namesake.



Postscript: if you type "Blake Morrison" into the Guardian website search box, ironically, you get a review he's written of a Vikram Seth book called "Two Lives". Ha.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Normally there's no one else up on google with my name. There was a teenager who played softball in the States with my name for a while, and now there's apparently some lameass on a debate team with my name, but I think I dominate the name...

Will said...

You don't know how lucky you are...

Tom Murphy said...

Try this bad boy for a namesake (mine):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4326292.stm

Liked the stuff about Billy Bragg and Guy - one's a working class hero the other's a class act.

Will said...

I suppose it's made even worse by your your heavy Irish accent and thick black beard?

Blake Morrison said...

Will,

Please stop hassling me with emails in a thinly-veiled attempt to gain literary kudos for your blog... I am far too busy writing award-winning memoirs about my dead mother to even entertain the notion of namechecking you in one of my articles. I don't care if you went to Goldsmiths or not.

Yours, Blake

Will said...

The plot thickens. A comment from an imposter trying to steal Blake Morrison's identity. For the record, this is what the real Blake said when I emailed him the link to the post:

Will,
I enjoyed yours too
best, Blake (THIS Blake)

Caro said...

When I put my name into google I'm eclipsed by some chick from Nashville. I personally appear fourth from the top, but irritatingly, it has nothing to do with UnLimited Media, etc. It's a *very* ugly photo of me at an end of fringe festival party at the Bedlam theatre last year. Gutting.

Hope you're well, Will.